Monday, November 15, 2010

Why is it so hard to wear someone's else's shoes?

I have been there before myself.  We all have.  When we are immersed in our own world, and state of mind, we are truly challenged to remember or recall the way it was on other side of the fence.  I believe its human nature, no fault of anyone and certainly not purposeful.  When we are single, we may forget what it is like to be married or committed and the entrenched status quo.  Just as likely and maybe even more so, is it difficult for the married/relationship person to understand the woes and challenges of being single.  I try hard to imagine how many times I may have seemed out of touch or insensitive without even realizing it.....telling my single friends to keep their chins up as their prince charming was surely around the corner as I make dinner with my boyfriend.  Neither is easy, and neither is all joy and no pain.  But as we settle into one lifestyle, our head becomes shrouded from the other view we don't witness every day.  We have to actually physically force ourselves to try hard to imagine how others feel and what they may be going through if we want to be a sensitive, perceptive and understanding human being.  Some are better than others at this.  It requires a conscientious person to listen, imagine being in the other persons shoes and respond versus the logical, this is my wise suggestion from my place of reference type of response.

No comments: